Saturday, October 27, 2007

My initial days of waiting and the history-Part 1

This is the fourth day at home, away from work!!! In anticipation of the future??? Well sure looks like it.

Future??? What does it really mean to me? I have left a pretty well paying job for a future of complete uncertainity. Not that I was particularly happy in my current job... (who is?? very few people in the world are happy about the work they do!! i believe that. ) but well i had gotten so used to it, the familiar surroundings, the familiar looking faces in the 5th floor of my office (including the cleaning and pantry staff I must say) that i actually didn't feel like leaving.

So why did I leave? Now thats the biggest question (question mark rather) in my life. I have been offered a job by none other than the I of the B of the M!! Confused?? I meant IBM!!! Hold on though. The reality is that, they have been calling me from last year and everytime I ask them I need some joining time, they disappear. Wierd? But true.

Then out of the blue, something like the Ripley's Believe It or Not, I suddenly got a call from them asking me to join. But this time I was careful and and said that unless they send me the offer letter, I won't believe them. And send they did!!!! They actually sent me an offer letter but again it was too early to join since I didn't have enough time to give one month's notice to my company. (ex-company now ) So as usual I sent a series of mails and made a number of phone calls to their office and finally made them agree to give me more time. And I threw in my papers!! (now this clearly shows that the grass is always greener on the other side)

I was on cloud seventeen! (why seventeen? well simply bcoz it was more than 9 :) ) Seriously, that was the way I felt. I was soooooooooooo happy. Couldn't stop smiling. I started taking long tea breaks at work, of course I did all the work assigned to me but it started feeling like a burden. But life seemed great at that moment.

Then the unthinkable happened. On one evening, (i think it was a thu or a fri) I got a phone call. It was THEM!! To repeat their exact words and I quote "I just wanted to inform you that we're changing your joining date." And I exactly replied which I quote again, (hey i don't need to quote my own words right??) "Excuse me! Could you please repeat that? " I couldn't believe what I had just heard. So well he said it again and I still couldn't believe it. Before he could slam down the phone I quickly asked to what date are they gonna change? Postpone it or advance it? 'HE' (the guy who spoke) said he'll get back to me. Now I have to mention that I hate the sentence "We'll get back to you". All the people who have done a lot of climbing up and down company steps (by company i mean all S/W companies) will recognize this sentence. "We'll get back to you"!! Most of the time you can assume that they wont. And they actually don't. So now I was in a humongous mess. More like a quick sand. My world felt like it was torn away from me. I realised that now i'm gonna be "unemployed". (for someone who joined her first job even before she could complete her final semester exams, this was unbearable)

I was devastated!! Now all I could do was wait, wait and only wait. (I hate waiting!! for anything)
Then after exactly two painful days I again get a call from "THEM". I hear a new voice this time that says "We have postponed your joining date to 28th Dec". I was in a fix now. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or scream. (although scream might've been my first choice if it was to someone else) They needed an answer immediately and I didn't know what to say. So many questions were running through my mind that if someone had taken a voltage reading(or was it current) at that time i'm positively sure that it was more than enough to run my Panasonic 26" TV at home. So I told them, I'll call them back in a while for which he said don't worry (yea right!!) I'll call you back in say 15 minutes? I said that would be great!! (not feeling so great at that moment though) So I spoke to my dad (who was with me at that moment to my greatest relief) and he said speak to them sternly and thats exactly what I did.

"HE" called back and I pored out all my woes, accusing them of cheating me and making me "unemployed". After listening to me without uttering a single word, "he" said "Ok madam. All that you told me just now, please send me a mail and I'll speak to my manager and get back to you (again!!) on that!! All I could say was, OK.

End of part 1.... To be continued...

2 comments:

work_of_fiction? said...

hmmm, pretty much shows the agony you are in.though i know what happend,i mean the rest of the story,i really really am looking forward to read it.

Shalini said...

OMG Maddy....wat's this?These s/w companies na....seriously....they don't understand how they are playing with our lives...nyways, you don't worry dear,I m sure they'll advance ur joining date...my prayers with you.